The Michael Jackson biopic is a drama both onscreen and off

Bolsterflip By Bolsterflip
3 Min Read

The long-awaited Michael Jackson biopic titled “Michael” finally releases on April 24. But the film is already facing intense debate over how it handles the singer’s complicated legacy.

Directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Michael’s nephew Jaafar Jackson, the movie had a hometown screening in Gary, Indiana last week. Family members including several Jackson brothers, eldest son Prince, and producer Graham King attended.

However, the event avoided discussing the child molestation allegations that have long divided Jackson’s fans. Gary’s mayor Eddie D. Melton told CNN: “I don’t think there’s a need to address the actual allegations.”

The original version of the biopic addressed the 1993 case where Jackson was accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy. But according to Puck, a $25 million settlement with the accuser prevents the estate from mentioning that case in any film.

This forced a massive overhaul and reshoots costing between 10millionand10millionand15 million, paid for by the Jackson estate. Variety reported that the estate was aware of the original script from the beginning.

Jackson maintained his innocence against all accusations until his death in 2009 at age 50. The estate continues to deny all allegations.

New allegations surfaced just months before release

In February 2026, four now-adult members of a family close to Jackson filed a lawsuit. They accuse him of being “a serial child predator” who drugged, raped, groomed, and sexually assaulted them as children. The suit also claims sex trafficking during the Dangerous World Tour.

The Jackson estate’s lawyer Marty Singer called it a “desperate money grab.” In March, a motion to move the case to arbitration was granted.

Family members have mixed reactions

Michael’s daughter Paris shared a video saying the film “panders to a very specific section of my dad’s fandom that still lives in the fantasy.” She hasn’t been outspoken because fans will be happy with it.

Her brothers Prince and Bigi have walked red carpet premieres. Jaafar Jackson, making his acting debut, said he read Michael’s personal journals to find “the meaning behind the move, not just the shape.”

Film ends before allegations surface

The biopic ends in 1988 – before the first allegations. Actor Colman Domingo told the “Today” show that a possible sequel “may deal with some things that happened afterwards.”

Meanwhile, HBO’s 2019 documentary “Leaving Neverland” featured two men alleging abuse. The Jackson family called it a “public lynching.”

Whether audiences embrace or reject “Michael” remains to be seen, but the drama is far from over.

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *